Forums > Bugs/Comments > Topic: suggestions to improve wordbuddy.
Return to Forum

Topic: suggestions to improve wordbuddy.

Earliest is first. (Reverse)
jiadawei
Taiwan, Province of China
2012/12/20
Report Abuse

Let me start by saying that this was a great idea, so please take the following as suggestions to improve the service, rather than complaints.

1. Allow users to make private lists. I think the crowd idea is great and I have been typing in lots of memorization techniques, which I am happy to share. However, I have also been making lists of words that I want to study. These lists are useless to anyone else, and eventually you will end up with thousands of useless lists. If I were creating a list for a textbook or something, sharing would of course be great.

2. Make the size of the word being studied (much) larger or adjustable, at least in flashcard mode. I use wordbuddy on my phone to study Chinese characters. I can read the stuff in my native language, but I have to keep zooming in to see the strokes of the tiny character, and then zooming back out again to read the definition or use the controls.

3. In Chinese, allow users to associate multiple character words with a single character (similar to the way sentences and memorization techniques are associated) without actually adding the word to the list. I am trying to use wordbuddy to learn the most common Chinese Characters. Therefore, I would like to keep a list of just single characters. However, I would like to know what word this character is a part of.

4. This may already be possible and it is probably only useful for studying Chinese and maybe Japanese, but it possible to allow uploading of lists. As I said, I would like to learn the 1000 most common characters, but since I already know many of them, I am not making a comprehensive list. If I could create the whole list (which I can download from many sources) I could focus on the ones I need, adding memorization techniques etc, and other users could contribute to it as well.

Again, thanks again for taking the time to provide this awesome service.
marc
Shanghai, CN
2012/12/26
Report Abuse

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions.

1) I realize that many people will create their own lists. An extra 'share' checkbox would be an extra step of work though. And it doesn't realy matter if there are many useless lists names out there though because they will only show up if specifically searched for. There aren't enough lists right now, so unfortunately the "Popular User Lists" comprises many of these 'useless' names for the moment. This will change when lots more lists are created with more generic list-names.

2) The size of characters/words in the language that you are studying is currently adjustable. On all pages in the upper-right corner there are the (A+)(a-) buttons to do this.

3) Wordbuddy already has the ability to associate multi-character words with single characters. Not only that, but you can also see more complex single characters that use the root character as a 'radical'. Just click on any character/word and select "Phrases" or "Compound Characters".

4) Sorry, there is no uploading-list capability in Wordbuddy right now. This is because if your word and definition were uploaded and the definition was slightly different than one already there, it would create another entry. We would end up with lots of almost duplicate definitions. So better for everyone to select the definition that they would like to study or add one if it is not there. It will make for a better communal dictionary.

-Marc
jiadawei
Taiwan, Province of China
2013/1/8
Report Abuse

Thanks for the reply. That little A+ check box makes all the difference in the world.

Regarding the lists: actually, I only meant that I would upload the characters and use the definitions already in the system. It would be more like a "mass selection" than uploading a list. However, I realize now that it would probably be quite hard to engineer.

marc
Shanghai, CN
2013/1/8
Report Abuse

Yes, a "mass selection" would still entail selecting definitions. If this is what you want, you can go to the 'Dictionary->Sentences' tab and enter all of your vocabulary words together in a list. From the resulting list below you can check-off the definitions/ pronunciations that you'd like to study.
marc
Shanghai, CN
2013/1/8
Report Abuse

And one more idea in reference to #3 above:
WordBuddy does allow you to associate other characters/words that you easily confuse with a particular vocabulary. For instance I easily confuse: 俗, 欲, and 浴. Go to 俗 and add the other two under "Confusing Words", then you will always see them listed with your definition of 俗. In addition, if you are quizzing a list with 俗 in it, the other two will be added to the quiz automatically.
Russta
2013/2/10
Report Abuse

Brilliant work on the site! I'm still finding new cool things each time I use it.

Not sure how many people study while working out at the gym using iphones and the like, but I am one of them. One thing I would appreciate is bigger quiz buttons for the correct/incorrect/answer/etc. buttons. Just a small usability suggestion.

Cheers!
marc
Shanghai, CN
2013/2/10
Report Abuse

Done. Big Stubby Finger mode has been upgraded ;)
Just hit refresh in your browser.
dansu
Lithuania
2013/4/24
Report Abuse

the bigger quiz buttons are great! my reader loves them :)
Items 1-8/8
Subscribe to this topic
Reply to this topic